Verification of the citizenship
According to the legislation in force the following documents are accepted as proof of the Hungarian citizenship:
- a valid Hungarian passport;
- a Hungarian passport expired within last 12 months;
- a valid Hungarian personal identification (ID) card;
- a Hungarian citizenship certificate issued within the last three years;
- certificate of naturalization.
If a person does not possess any of the above mentioned documents, and his/her data is not registered in the Hungarian register of personal data and addresses, then a verification procedure will be initiated by the authorities to check the validity of the Hungarian citizenship.
The Government Office of Budapest is responsible for the procedure of verification. The procedure might take up to 6-8 months.
The procedure can be initiated also by the client.
We would ask to book an appointment by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) for submitting the necessary documents.
You can fill out the application form for the verification of citizenship online via Konzinfo Start website (registration is needed). After filling out the form, you have to print it out and bring it with you to the Consulate.
The fee of the procedure at the Consulate is 40 EUR, which shall be paid at the submission of the application by a debit card.
We ask for the following documents to start the procedure:
- an application form for the verification of citizenship (available only in Hungarian)
- a form for the registration of birth (available only in Hungarian)
- a form for the registration of marriage (available only in Hungarian)
- a form for the registration of the address (available only in Hungarian)
- a birth certificate in original (if it is not in English, French or German then an official Hungarian translation is required)
- a certificate on the civil status (if married: certificate of marriage; if divorced: decision of the court of justice on divorce together with a certificate on its enter into force; if widow: certificate of death of the spouse)
In certain cases it is necessary to prove the ascendants by the following documents:
- a marriage certificate of the parents or grand-parents (if necessary with official Hungarian translation)
- a birth certificates of the parents or grand-parents (if necessary with official Hungarian translation)
The civil status documents shall be presented in an original version, with an official Hungarian translation (if the original document is in a language other than English, French or German). Official Hungarian translation can be requested at the Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation – OFFI, www.offi.hu). In case of a civil status document issued by one of the Member States of the European Union, an official Hungarian translation is accepted, if it is made in accordance with the legal provision of that Member State.